f t g m
Copyright 2020 - .

Imprint details

This site has been developed and is maintained by:-
Alan Breeze
Branch Secretary,
UKIP Bishop Auckland,
28 South Road,
Bishop Auckland,
DL14 0HZ

Archived Minutes 2018

ANNUAL GENERAL MEETING

Held: Thursday 29th November 2018     8:30pm

Location: The Manor Pub - Henknowle

Members present: Rob Berry; Alan Breeze; John Brigstock; Peter Lindsay; Lorraine Lindsay; Ken Hawkins; Bob Purvis; Jake McAloon

The meeting accepted the Minutes of the previous AGM as a true record proposed by Rob Berry seconded by John Brigstock which was agreed unanimously.

The first task was for our Current Chairman to supervise the appointment of a new Chairman.

Chairman:

Nominations: Rob Berry  ( Tel: 07899 921654  -  This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. )

Proposed by Alan Breeze

Seconded by John Brigstock

No other nominations - carried unanimously.

Vice Chair:

Nominations: John Brigstock     ( Tel: 07803 588488 -  This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. )

Proposed by Alan Breeze

Seconded by Rob Berry

No other nominations - carried unanimously

Secretary:

Nominations: Alan Breeze       ( Tel: 0793 0593 248  -  This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. )

Proposed by Rob Berry

Seconded by John Brigstock

No other nominations - carried unanimously.

Treasurer:

Nominations: Lorraine Lindsay    ( Tel: 07982 332751 - This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. )

Proposed by Alan Breeze

Seconded by Rob Berry

No other nominations - carried unanimously

Membership Secretary:   

Nominations: Bob Purvis   ( Tel: 07964894915 -  This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. )

Proposed by Alan Breeze

Seconded by Rob Berry

No other nominations - carried unanimously

Executive Committee:

Nominations: Ken Hawkins   ( Tel: 0138883520   -   This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. )

Proposed by Rob Berry

Seconded by John Brigstock

No other nominations - carried unanimously

Statement of Accounts

Our stand in Treasurer Alan Breeze declared that our current Balance was £282.49 in the Darlington Building Society supplemented by £19.00 from the two meetings giving a Grand Total of £301.49 available. The £19 is to be deposited when Lorraine takes her identification and utility Bill to the Darlington Building Society to register as a signatory with them.

The meeting was then closed and the next Annual General Meeting will take place at the end of November 2019

 

 

Minutes of Meeting

Held: Thursday 29th November 2018    7:15pm

Location: Manor Pub - Henknowle

Chair: Rob Berry

Vice Chair: Dorothy Dolby (Apologies for absence

Treasurer: Vacancy

Secretary: Alan Breeze

Members Secretary: John Brigstock

Committee Members:

Regional Organiser:

Apologies for Absence: Faith Breeze, Dorothy Dolby

Other Attendees: Peter Lindsay, Lorraine Lindsay, Jake McAloon, Bob Purvis, Ken Hawkins

The Chairman asked if the previous minutes could be taken as a true record and this was proposed byPeter Lindsay and seconded by Lorraine Lindsay before being accepted unanimously.

Matters Arising:

 It was agreed that Bishop FM should be pursued as a means of getting the Brexit message out and during the meeting John Brigstock spoke on the phone to Gillian Campbell (07805233230) and after a lengthy conversation there was a positive response with a proviso that both sides of the argument on Brexit were represented on the program slot.

As noted at the meeting a further signatory was added to our Darlington Building Society accont with Rob Berry's signature and it was put forward that as soon as a new Treasurer was elected they should go down to sign up too. Whilst there it was proposed they deposit the £19 currently in the posession of Alan Breeze which has been collected as £1 subs from the two meetings.

It was confirmed that Rob and Alan attended the N E Meeting with Gerard Batten on 5th October where he gave everyone a brief history of development of UKIP since its formation 25 years ago and confirmed that the party had been neear to bankruptcy earlier this year after the Party Conference in Torquay. The step of Gerard becoming temporary Party Leader for a one year period has rescued the Party and in the current Brexit climate membership is booming. Gerard also took a straw poll at the meeting which showed that out of approx 150 attendees only a handful objected to Tommy Robinson becoming a Party Member. Subsequent developments have meant that this decision has been deferred till after 29th March 2019. This led to general debate at our meeting with a split on the acceptability of Tommy Robinson and it was generally felt that the main focus of the Party must not be on Islam although it should remain a significant consideration.

Any Other Business

Since the last meeting efforts have been made to revive the collapsed North East Regional Organisation led by Richard Elvin and a meeting held in Newcastle yielded a working committee of Richard Elvin, Chairman ; ken Rollings, Treasurer ; Gary Leighton, Secretary and Henry Marshall as Executive Committee member. Beyond that they have met and proposed 6 sub regions of UKIP North East which our secretary believes should be re arranged to pair N W Durham with Bishop Auckland.

Rob Berry read out a letter from Gerard Batten a key part of which was notification of a national Brexit Rally on Sunday 9th December in Central London, it was generally felt in the meeting that attending would be difficult and it was suggested that regional rallies might have been more effective.

With regard to putting the UKIP name out locally it was suggested that local papers are contacted to check the possibility of distribution of leaflets through their delivery systems and Alan Breeze agreed to look into this. The possibility of advertising our meeting in local press was also to be pursued and reported back to next meeting.

With no other business the meeting was closed with the next Monthly Meeting scheduled for Thursday 31st January at the Manor Pub Henknowle 7:15 start.

 

 

 

An informal none minuted meeting was held on 25th October and several new members were welcomed

The meeting was attended by

Margaret Dennison ; Cheryl Dennison ; Michael Hopper (07929215127) ; Ken Allen (07780008118) ; Graham Rose (07789678771) ; Ali Hughes ; Peter Lindsay ; Lorraine Lindsay ; Antony Wilkinson

 

Minutes of Meeting

Held: Thursday 27th September 2018

Location: Manor Pub - Henknowle

Chair: Rob Berry (Apologies for absence due to Question Time appearance)

Vice Chair: Dorothy Dolby (Stand in as Chair)

Treasurer: Vacancy

Secretary: Alan Breeze

Members Secretary: John Brigstock

Committee Members:

Regional Organiser: Apologies for absence Gordon Parkin

Apologies for Absence: Faith Breeze, Rob Berry

Other Attendees: Peter Lindsay, Lorraine Lindsay (new members), Margaret Dennison, Cheryl Dennison

The Chairman asked if the previous minutes could be taken as a true record and this was proposed by Dorothy Dolby and seconded by John Brigstock before being accepted unanimously.

Matters Arising:

The link up with Bishop Auckland FM idea was shelved to the next meeting because of the absence of our Chairman who is appearing on Question Time.

The matter of access to our Bank account is still outstanding and it was agreed that our Chairman, Secretary and Members Secretary should meet at the Darlington Building Society in Bishop Auckland and sign the necessary documents to become signatories to the account. Our secretary is to arrange this before the next meeting.

The normal £1 subscription was collected along with an extra £1 from Cheryl Dennison giving a total of £8 to add to the previous £5 for putting in our Building Society Account.

Any Other Business:

Our Chairman gave a warm welcome to our new members Peter and Lorraine and also welcomed back Cheryl and Margaret after a year out.

Our secretary reminded everyone that Gerard Batten our party leader is coming to Newcastle on 5th October to meet members and everyone is invited to attend. However, people at the meeting had prior commitments which meant that only our Chairman and Secretary would be going to the meeting.

Our secretary announced that an up to date Manifesto was available and a paper copy was provided for our Vice Chairman and also promised to put a link on our website to the Manifesto.

A General discussion took place regarding the membership application from Tommy Robinson which drew a divided response from the attendees, any news regarding his membership will be passed to members.

Our secretary asked if there were any key messages that members wished to pass through our Secretary to Gerard Batten and it was felt by the meeting that it was a great shame that offshoots from the party had taken place and hoped that at some future time these offshoots could be brought back to the fold to regroup like minded people.

It was also noted that all Branches be put on an Election Imminent footing in preperation for a snap election in the Autumn as it is felt that any sign of weakness from Labour would send Theresa May to the polls to seek assurance for her Chequers Plan. However it was felt that this risk was a step too far in the present climate and it was more likely that there would be a leadership challenge. This will be discussed again at the October meeting.

With no other Business the meeting was closed with the next meeting scheduled for the last Thursday 25th October at the Manor Pub 7:15pm start

 

Minutes of Meeting

Held: Thursday 31st May 2018

Location: Manor Pub - Henknowle

Chair: Rob Berry

Vice Chair: Dorothy Dolby

Treasurer: Vacancy due to the recent death of Betty Hopson

Secretary: Alan Breeze

Members Secretary: John Brigstock

Committee Members:

Regional Organiser: Apologies for absence Gordon Parkin

Apologies for Absence: Faith Breeze

Other Attendees: David Blackett (None Member)

The Chairman asked if the previous minutes could be taken as a true record and this was proposed by Dorothy Dolby and seconded by John Brigstock before being accepted unanimously.

Matters Arising:

Earlier today our Secretary dicovered that our Treasurer had passed away and subsequent investigation showed that this was on the 30th April . It was regretable that we were not informed of her sudden death in a timely manner and hence were not able to attend her funeral but those that knew her were unanimous in praising her work for UKIP over the years as a candidate and more recently as our Treasurer and she will be greatly missed in the future. Our Secretary resolved to handle the practical problem of accessing our bank Account without Betty as signatory.

It was agreed that the meeting with Bishop FM be progressed by John Brigstock and he would liaise with our Secretary and Chairman re progress.

Any Other Business:

The normal meeting subs of £1 per head (£5 total) was passed to our Secretary for passing to our Bank Account.

Secretary Alan Breeze informed the meeting that a street rally was to take place in Stockton on Saturday 9th June and he promised to provide more information as he received it from Gordon Parkin UKIP Stockton

With no other Business the meeting was closed with the next meeting scheduled for the last Thursday in June at the Manor Pub 7:15pm start

 

 

 

Minutes of Meeting

Held: Thursday 29th March 2018

Location: Manor Pub - Henknowle

Chair: Dorothy Dolby (in Rob Berry's absence)

Vice Chair: Dorothy Dolby

Treasurer: Betty Hopson

Secretary: Alan Breeze

Members Secretary: John Brigstock

Committee Members: Faith Breeze

Regional Organiser: Apologies for absence Gordon Parkin

Attendees: Mark Bickerton

The Chairman asked if the previous minutes could be taken as a true record and this was proposed by Dorothy Dolby and seconded by John Brigstock before being accepted unanimously.

Matters Arising: There were no matters arising from previous meeting

Any Other Business:

It was confirmed by our Secretary that he had been notified by our Regional Organiser that UKIP had been saved from Bankruptcy at the 11th hour as Sponsors stepped in to pay the outstanding Court Costs following the failed defamation of character case in the High Court involving one of our MEPs and the Rotherham Labour Councillors.

In the light of this with UKIP finances at a dangerously low level, Gerard batten proposed that his interim Party Leader position is extended for one year to defer the significant costs of running a new leadership election. This has been generally accepted by members.

John Brigstock offered to initiate a meeting with our local Radio station Bishop FM with a view to bringing to the General Public political situations we face and providing the UKIP stance on these situations, with particular reference to Brexit.

Towards the end of the meeting Mark Bickerton informed the meeting that he had joined the Democrats and Veterans Party headed by John Rees Evans and he would not be attending any further meetings. The Chairman thanked him for his contributions to discussions in the times that he had been at our meetings.

With no further business the meeting was closed

 

 

 

 

Archived Minutes 2016

ANNUAL GENERAL MEETING

Held: Thursday 27th October 2016

Location: Manor Pub - Henknowle

The first task was to appoint a Chairman for the coming year, who would then go on to Chair the remainder of the AGM and supervise the appointment of the other officers.

Chairman:

Proposed: Alistair Robertson (by Dorothy Dolby)
Seconded by Rob Berry

Proposed: Lee Hariss (by Alan Breeze)
Seconded by Colin Race

Vote tied 3 - 3 and Chairmans casting vote elected Lee Hariss as Chairman

A vote of thanks and a sustained round of applause was given to our outgoing Chairman Alistair Robertson for the years of sterling service he has provided as our Chairman, where he went well beyond the brief of Chairman and inspiring others around him.

Vice Chairman:

Proposed:  Alistair Robertson (by Rob Berry)
Seconded by Lee Hariss

Unamimously elected without opposition

Secretary:

Proposed: Alan Breeze (by Dorothy Dolby)
Seconded by Betty Hopson

Unamimously elected without opposition

Treasurer:

Proposed: Betty Hopson (by Dorothy Dolby)
Seconded by Colin Race

Unamimously elected without opposition

Membership Secretary:

It was proposed that Lee Hariss continue in this position till a suitable candidte is found at a future date.

Committee Members:

Dorothy Dolby, Rob Berry and John Brigstock were co-opted on to the executive committee without opposition.

The Meeting closed and it was resolved that the next AGM will be held October 2017

 

Minutes of Meeting

Held: Thursday 29th September 2016

Location: Manor Pub - Henknowle

Chair: Alistair Robertson

Vice Chair: Dorothy Dolby

Treasurer: Betty Hopson

Secretary: Alan Breeze

Members Secretary: Lee Harris (Apologies for Absence)

Regional Organiser: Gordon Parkin

Attendees: Margaret Dennison; Cheryl Dennison; John Brigstock

Apologies: Rob Berry, Jim Hargrave, Irene Hargrave, Colin Race (Councillor)

The meeting accepted the previous minutes as a true record of events unanimously.

There were no matters arising from Previous Minutes.

Any Other Business:

Our Regional Organiser Gordon Parkin, asked if there were any volunteers available to assisit in Canvassing for the forthcoming Hartlepool By Election and some interest was expressed by Cheryl and Margaret Dennison.

Gordon also explained to the meeting the ruling on past members in that members whose membership has lapsed by three months or more were eligible for a reduced fee rejoin fee, all of which could be secured for the local branch. It was resolved that our membership secretary Lee Harris on his return should pursue this as a priority.

Guest Speaker: Colin Moran

Further to the minute in the last meeting we were lucky to be able to secure the services of top speaker Colin Moran and the Chjairman expressed his disappointment at the poor attendence despite local press advertising and requests for Facebook publicity.

However the meeting were priveleged to receive a top class presentation from Colin, who originally rose to fame through the "Metric Martyrs" case in 2004 which went viral in the UK and engaged all the mainstream media at the time. Colin explained how this simple point of Law opened a huge can of EU worms to him and led to his ongoing none partisan campaigns against the EU from that day to present. Colin is well respected by many top names in UKIP including Nigel himself and claims that he inspired the choice of "Independence Day" as a major winning slogan in the June referendum.

Colin urged everyone to follow his example in campaigning and helped by giving examples of imaginative stunts that have been very effective in getting messages across including the procurement of a huge inflatable white elephant to provide a photo opportunity and a visual tag for one of his campaigns. Colin also stressed that Party approaches to the media were too essily brushed aside whereas regular "members of the public" with no political affiliation were much more welcome to local and national media and more likely to be featured.

Colin was thanked profusely for his inspiring presentation by the committee.

Next Meeting:  The next meeting will take place on Thursday October 27th 2016 and will be the Annual General Meeting

 

 

Minutes of Meeting

Held: Thursday 25th August 2016

Location: Manor Pub - Henknowle

Chair: Alistair Robertson

Vice Chair: Dorothy Dolby (apologies for absence)

Treasurer: Betty Hopson

Secretary: Alan Breeze

Members Secretary: Lee Harris

Regional Organiser: Gordon Parkin (apologies for absence)

Attendees:Rob Berry; Councillor - Colin Race; Councillor - Dave Fleming; Councillor - Nigel Bryson; Councillor - Michail Sidd; Councillor - Lee Brownson; Margaret Dennison; Cheryl Dennison; Robert Batie + 4 others not recorded on sheet.

Apologies:

The meeting accepted the previous minutes as a true record of events unanimously.

The meeting welcomed the delegation from Bishop Auckland Council consisting of four Labour members to the meeting and it was pleasing to see several other new people at the meeting as well.

Matters Arising from Previous Minutes

The secretary explained that we had hoped to secure a big name guest speaker to this meeting but because of Jonathan Arnott withdrawing from the Party Leadership Contest and Phil Broughton having other business on the night then we were left with a normal monthly meeting and apologies were given for anyone disappointed at these major figures not attending.

The need for a Fund Raising Manager was deferred to a future meeting when all of our main committe were available.

The theme for the nights meeting was agreed as "Brexit what Next" and it was thrown open to the floor to ask questions about life after the momentous referendum to Leave the EU.

The Labour delegation expressed their view through their principal speaker Nigel Bryson that despite them voting to Remain they accepted the decision of the people and the main task now was to secure the very best deal with the EU. They also gave the impression that they were not aligned with the current views of Labour's Owen Smith that a 2nd Referendum should be pursued.

Mr Fleming (Labour Councillor) asked the meeting "What is UKIP's position regarding Energy Policy" and a response was given that none of the prime sources of Energy were ruled out for the future but each must compete on their own merits regarding value to the country as it is appreciated that in time technologies change and costs change so that things which are currently uneconomical may become economically viable in the future. The various energy sources were briefly discussed along with the benefits and drawbacks.

Mr Fleming also questioned the future of UKIP having completed their primary aim of achieving Brexit and was informed that the exact direction would be determined by our new leader when elected but there is definitely a drive to represent the working man as opposed to International Conglomerates and to expand our influence by looking for influence at local and county and national government levels.

A new meeting attendee who unfortunately didn't sign the sheet made a point that under the EU umbrella he believed that the UK had been given a role as a none productive, services area with limited opportunity of creating wealth for the nation and this lead to a lengthy debate which highlighted the fact that the UK were vulnerable to the whims of huge multi national companies who had global choices for siting their manufacturing operations. Credit was given to local company EBAC who had held their own against international competition and were still expanding production of Water Coolers, Dehumidifiers and refrigeration products for worldwide use.

Our secretary thanked everyone for the lively debate on the night which was enhanced by the presence of the four Labour Councillors and with no other business the meeting was closed.

The next meeting will feature a guest speaker to add to the inevitable discussion relating to the new Party Leader who will be in place by that time and it was confirmed that it will take place on Thursday 29th September at 7:15pm in "The Manor" pub Henknowle.

 

Matters Arising from previous Minutes:

Minutes of Meeting

Held: Thursday 28th July 2016

Location: Manor Pub - Henknowle

Chair: Alistair Robertson

Vice Chair: Dorothy Dolby

Treasurer: Betty Hopson

Secretary: Alan Breeze

Members Secretary: Lee Harris

Regional Organiser: Gordon Parkin (apologies for absence)

Attendees:Rob Berry; Ivan Marazzi

Apologies: Councillor - Colin Race; John Brigstock

The meeting accepted the previous minutes as a true record of events unanimously

Matters Arising from previous Minutes:

Further to Lee Harris being nominated as our prime Constituency candidate at this stage, Lee reported that he has now paid his £50 and has been invited to take part in the Induction and Screening process to qualify him for standing as a Prospective Parkiamentary Candidate. No word has been received on the other names forwarded for consideration which was a little disappointing considering that our branch had been asked to provide as many potential candidates as possible to enable constituencies without a UKIP branch to be covered in the event of a snap election.

Any Other Business

Lee Harris urged people to join the "Faithful Durham" organisation to help save the DLI and other Durham concerns in the face of Durham County Council plans.

Alistair our Chairman confirmed that he had corresponded with Jonathan Arnott#s office with a view to a) giving him a platform to further his Leadership aspirations, b) to bring a big name to help boost local membership and c) to help our fundraising.  However to date we have had no response and Alistair promised to chase his office for a definitive outcome.

It was noted that there was a disappointing turnout to the meeting and ideas were bounced around regarding improving attendance and towards this end Ivan suggested that we use local press to advertise our meetings and events. Lee pointed out the political problems in achieving this but Alan Breeze suggested that he may have inadvertently opened a new link to local free press through his football contacts and promised to further this initial contact with a view to publicising future events. In addition Lee suggested that Facebook paid campaigns were very cost effective and said that for less than £20 we could target our local area to advertise our meetings, aspecially if we were to procure a big name to our meeting such as Jonathan Arnott.

Lee Harris promiosed to gently remind Johnathan Arnott through Gordon our Regional Organiser that we were still not in receipt of our £100 starting fund.

In preperation for a big meeting involving many new potential members, Alan Breeze promised to provide New Membership Forms priced at £10 first year membership, so that they may be available to all at the meeting set out on the tables.

The meeting briefly discussed the need for a Fund Raising Manager as part of the Committee and this decision was deferred to future meeting.

The DCC elections next May were discussed and it was agreed that a copy of the election rules be obtained in order that we maximise our effect at the elections. At present it is proposed that Lee stands in the West Auckland area and Colin Race in the Woodhouse area but other candidates were required so that we have maximum coverage in all areas.

With no other business to discuss our Chairman declared the meeting closed and confirmed the next meeting will take place at Th Manor Pub Henknowle on Thursday 25th August (last Thursday in month as usual) starting at 7:15pm

 

Minutes of Meeting

Held: Thursday 30th June 2016

Location: Manor Pub - Henknowle

Chair: Alistair Robertson

Vice Chair: Dorothy Dolby

Treasurer: Betty Hopson

Secretary: Alan Breeze

Members Secretary: Lee Harris

Regional Organiser: Gordon Parkin (apologies for absence)

Councillor - Colin Race; Barry McCartan; John Rolfe; John Brigstock; Ernie Smith; John Rolfe

The meeting accepted the previous minutes as a true record of events proposed Lee Harris, seconded Colin Race - Unanimous

Matters Arising from previous Minutes:

The only matter arising from the previous minutes was that a toast was proposed by our Secreatary to our illustrious Party Leader  Nigel Farage whose relentless mission over the last 17 years had lead to the UK being transformed by the National Referendum deciding to Leave the European Union. In Addition it was also proposed that we toast and give thanks to all the members efforts in campaigning and leafleting over the last four months with particular thanks being given to Cheryl and Margaret Dennisone for their unrelenting efforts both in campaigning at every single event in addition to the many thousands of leaflets that they had posted through letterboxes.

Our Chairman brought to the attention of the meeting communication from our Regional Organiser Gordon Parkin who relayed the message from Head Office that we must prepare lists of Prospective Parliamentary Candidates to cover the possibility that the Government calls a snap General Election. In addition our Chairman relayed to the meeting the wishes of our previous Parliamentarty Candidate Rhys Burriss to be added to the PPC list.

After discussions within the meeting it was proposed that Lee Harris is submitted as the prime Parliamentary Candidate for the Bishop Auckland Constituency with other members willing to put their names forward for consideration either locally or in other seats within the North of England. The meeting was very appreciative of Rhys for his campaign at the last General Election for the Bishop Auckland Constituency but felt that in future he would be much better suited to fighting for UKIP in Central Durham where he resides, but as requested he is to be added to our branch list.

Our secretary explained to the meeting that individual PPCs would be expected to pay a none returnable £50 vetting fee to UKIP and if selected and appointed would be expected to pay the £500 deposit for the nomination which is returnable after achieving 5% of the votes. The other significant expense in excess of £1,000 would be the expense of the mail shot to all addresses in the Constituency in the campaigning period at the election.

Having taken heed of the above a voluntary list of PPCs from the Bishop Auckland Branch are as follows:-

Rhys Burrows

Lee Harris

Colin Race

Alan Breeze

John Brigstock

In addition our Secretary said that he had left a message with Liz Laidler from Rookhope within the North West Durham Constituency to sound out her intentions in this respect.

Our secretary pointed out that other than there being an early General Election, the next focus for our branch must be the Durham County Council elections next May.

There being no other particular points to discuss in the general meeting our Chairman declared the meeting closed allowing for informal discussions to take place within the meeting reflecting recent events.

It was agreed that the next Branch Meeting will take place on Thursday 28th July at 7:15pm at "The Manor" pub, Henknowle, Bishop Auckland.

 

Minutes of Meeting

Held: Thursday 26th May 2016

Location: Manor Pub - Henknowle

Chair: Alistair Robertson

Vice Chair: Dorothy Dolby

Treasurer: Betty Hopson

Secretary: Alan Breeze

Members Secretary: Lee Harris

Regional Organiser: Gordon Parkin (apologies for absence)

Present:Cheryl Dennison; Margaret Dennison; James McPherson;Councillor - Colin Race; Barry McCartan; Julie Ross; Maureen Ross; John Rolfe

Apologies: Rob Berry (Working on Kynren)

The meeting accepted the previous minutes as a true record of events.

Matters Arising from previous Minutes:

Closing on Referendum Day it was agreed we should maximise our campaigning efforts to counterbalance the local Labour message to Remain in the EU and the Secretary confirmed that we were now in receipt of official "Vote Leave" literature and displays to display at any events that we run.

It was agreed that we hold events in the near future in local Constituency Towns and provide support to other events in the North East, although Alistair confirmed that we had been requested not to take part in a weekend event in Spennymoor by the organising local Church there and it was agreed we respect their wishes. It was reported that the Shildon / South Church large Car Boot Sale was starting again and would be a suitable place with a large footfall and it was agreed we arrange for the following Friday. In addition it was pointed out that the Monthly Saturday Farmers Market in Barny was imminent on 4th June and it was agreed we make a presence there. Our Secretary reported that we had been contacted by Liz Laidler a UKIP supporter organising the "Vote Leave" campaign in West Durham who had suggested a reciprocal arrangement whereby we help at a major Newcastle Rally and in turn they would help if we could organise an event in Bishop Auckland. The meeting agreed it was a good idea to pursue this course of events and it was suggested that the greatest weekend footfall area was on the St Helens Retail Park, though there was uncertainty as to aquiring the necessary permissions.

Rob Berry reported that he had received a considerable amount of literature relating to the Leave campaign which is additional to the batch received through our Secretary and the meeting agreed that Rob should take charge of allocation of leafleting areas forthwith. Rob arranged for the people present at the meeting to cover designated areas ensuring that there were no overlaps with areas recently covered. In Addition the secretary agreed to erect large Corriboard "Vote Leave" displays in a promionent position on the main A68 route to Bishop Auckland to supplement our presence at the events.

In the light of the increasing activity coming up to the Referendum it was agreed that we hold an interim meeting on Wednesday 8th June at "The Manor" and our Secretary made the necessary arrangements with the Landlord Phil.

It was also reported that there was to be a debate in Spennymoor Town Hall on Thursday 9th June where both sides of the Referendum arguments were to be debated.

It was confirmed that after the Interim Meeting the next formal Meeting would take place the last Thursday of June (30th) at "The Manor" pub in Henknowle by which time we would either be celebrating or commiserating after the Referendum result.

With no other business to discuss our Chairman declared the meeting closed.

 

Minutes of Meeting

Held: Thursday 28th April 2016

Location: Manor Pub - Henknowle

Chair: Alistair Robertson

Vice Chair: Dorothy Dolby (apologies for absence)

Treasurer: Betty Hopson

Secretary: Alan Breeze

Members Secretary: Lee Harris (apologies for absence)

Regional Organiser: Gordon Parkin (apologies for absence)

Present:Cheryl Dennison; Margaret Dennison; James McPherson; John Brigstock; Barry Mccartan

Apologies: Rob Berry

The meeting accepted the previous minutes as a true record of events.

Matters Arising from previous Minutes:

Our treasurer reported that we have £166.80 in the Bank which would be swelled by a further £10 voluntary donations collected on the night.

Further to the initial Barnard Castle Grassroots Out event we held a further successful day in Barnard Castle which is highlighted on the News area of our website

This lead to discussion regarding future events and it was mentioned that there was a significant event ion Spennymoor organised by the Church on Saturday 21st May, Alistair our chairman said he would check the feasibility of setting up our stall as part of that event. [Latest information beyond meeting is that discussions with the Church revealed the position that the Church were strongly against their event being politicised and it was therefore decided not to cause upset and alienation by attending]

It was felt that we should hold another Grassroots Out / Leave event in all four of the major towns in out constituency (Bishop, Barny, Spenny and Shildon) prior to the 23rd June and that the ideal time would be in the four weeks between our meeting on the 26th May and "Independence Day". The venues for the four events are likely to be  Bishop Auckland - Outside Yorkshire Bank; Barny Castle - Market Place; Shildon - Friday Car Boot event; Spennymoor to be confirmed.  Towards this end it was proposed that we email all Constituency Members and Supporters to ascertain level of support from each individual so that we can also organise leaflet drops in the two weeks before "Independence Day". This will be actioned by our secretary.

It was proposed that "Vote Leave" be contacted again to acquire leaflets, car stickers, T Shirts plus any other promotional items.

The meeting requested that pre- advice of the next meeting should be given twice before the next meeting, one week before and a couple of days before and the secretary agreed to action this.

It was agreed that the next meeting will take place at The Manor pub Henknowle Estate on Thursday 26th May 2016 starting at 7:15pm.

With no other business to discuss our Chairman declared the meeting closed.

 

Minutes of Meeting

Held: Thursday 31st March 2016

Location: Manor Pub - Henknowle

Chair: Alistair Robertson

Vice Chair:

Treasurer: Betty Hopson

Secretary: Alan Breeze

Members Secretary: Lee Harris

Regional Organiser: Gordon Parkin

Present:Cheryll Dennison; Margaret Dennison; Friend of Margaret;

Apologies: Dorothy Dolby; Rob Berry

The meeting accepted the previous minutes as a true record of events.

Our Treasurer outlined to the meeting the amount of Credit we had in our Account and asked those present for the normal monthly donation.

Our Secretary reported that despite the inclement weather, the event on Saturday 5th March where we hired the Stockton Branch Gazebo and also used alongside the Grassroots Out supplied Livery and Literature on display, went well.

Thanks were agreed in Order for the efforts of Jim and Irene Hargrave who spent a considerable amount of time leafleting the area around the Market Place on previous days to the 5th March and also to Colin Race who funded the cost of the Market. Pictures were taken at the event which were posted on our Twitter and Facebook Accounts and a hundred or so leaflets were distributed on the day.

We were also able to report that the first Barnard Castle Wednesday Market event was also held with very encouraging feedback both from people that engaged with our stall and also participants of our Ballot Box which gave a significant majority (approx 70% to 30%) in favour of leaving the EU. We arranged with the Clerk of the Council that we would return every second Wednesday leading up to the Referendum (weather permitting) but he made it clear that we would have to submit our Insurance Public Liability Certificate the next time we arrived.

Lee Harris reported that the Aclet pub would be reopening as a pub but was concerned that it was still under threat long term.

With regard to further Referendum Campaigning it was felt that we should wait for the judgement of the Electoral Commision to have a better idea of the way forward with the Campaign. Lee Harris announced that he had been interviewed as the Grassroouts Out Regional Organiser for the North West of England and was confident that he would secure the post.

With no further business the meeting closed with notice that the next meeting would take place on the last Thursday in April (28th) at the Manor Pub, Henknowle, starting at 7:15pm.

 

 

 

Minutes of Meeting

Held: Thursday 25th Feb 2016

Location: Manor Pub - Henknowle

Chair: Alistair Robertson

Vice Chair:

Treasurer: Betty Hopson

Secretary: Alan Breeze

Members Secretary: Lee Harris

Regional Organiser: Gordon Parkin

Present: Rob Berry; Cheryll Dennison; Margaret Dennison;
James Hargrave; Irene Hargrave; Ernie Smith;

Apologies: Dorothy Dolby; Rob Berry

The meeting accepted the previous minutes as a true record of events.

Our Treasurer outlined to the meeting the amount of Credit we had in our Account and asked those present for the normal monthly donation.

Subsequent to a request from the last meeting our secretary brought along print copies of the last meeting for peoples reference on the night and promised that this would be done for future meetings.

The meeting welcomed Gordon Parkin our Regional Organiser especially in light of his recent illness and then went on to discuss matters arising from the previous minutes starting with rearrangements of our Bishop Market Place display event. Gordon confirmed that the UKIP emblazoned Gazebo was available for our previously requested date of 5th March and promised to attend to help us with the event on the day. This was despite Grassroots Out organising the very same day as an Action Day throughout the country whic pre meeting was a concern that there may be a clash. As discussed previously it was expected that we should leaflet in the immediate area of the Market Place to inform people of our event and Lee Harriss confirmed that he had detailed street plans for this purpose but didn't have them to hand. It was agreed that the imminent arrival of GO leaflets meant that we would leaflet as soon as they arrived and include the note regarding our March 5th event. Jim and Irene Hargrave pledged their support in this task but were disappointed that everything was not already in place.

Lee Harris reported that our Facebook page was up and running and gaining followers and our secretary reminded everyone that we have a Twitter account under "UKIPBA" with approaching a thousand followers.

Any Other Business

Lee Harris provided an update of the current position regarding the last pub on Woodhouse Estate which is still closed and outlined attempted manoevering by DCC to circumvent the covenant stating that the building could only be used as a Public House for the benefit of the locality. Lee is soliciting support from the local press and will report on progress regarding the retention of this well known local pub.

Ernie Smith spent some time enlightening the meeting regarding the foundation and development of the EU project starting froma German Aristocrat by the name of Richard Kalergi (now deceased) whose legacy remains and whose name was given to the "Kalergi Prize" awarded to people contributing the most each year to achieving the ultimate integration of the European nations. Winners of this prize include from the UK, Winston Churchill, Roy Jenkins, Ted Heath and the pernicious Tony Blair. Ernie encouraged members to investigate independently this progression of events from Richard Kalergi's route map and gain a fuller understanding of our present predicament with the EU.

With no other business the next meeting was scheduled to take place on the last Thursday in March ( 31st ) at the Manor Pub Henknowle starting at 7:15pm.

 

 

Minutes of Meeting

Held: Thursday 28th Jan 2016

Location: Manor Pub - Henknowle

Chair: Alistair Robertson

Vice Chair: Dorothy Dolby

Treasurer: Betty Hopson

Secretary: Alan Breeze

Members Secretary: Lee Harris

Present: Cllr Colin Race; Rob Berry; Cheryll Dennison;
James Hargrave; Irene Hargrave; 2 members from Barnard Castle names to be confirmed.

Apologies: Gordon Parkin

The meeting had a small delay in start due to our Secretary being unable to access the Minutes online which turned out to be because our website having had a cyber attack resulting in the site having to be completely rebuilt from scratch. Our members were most unhappy about this state of affairs and unamnimously resolved that for future meetings hard copies of the previous minutes were to be made available.

A meeting before Christmas with Jonathan Arnott our MEP in pursuit of justice for the ongoing Tudhoe Grange cause attended by our Chairman and Secretary yielded a welcome offer from Jonathan to come and speak within our Constituency. Jonathan suggested that we agree a date with him and in the week before the meeting distribute leaflets the cost of which he offered to share the cost. The meeting felt this offer should be accepted and thought given to a suitable venue and date to be confirmed at our next meeting.

Our Secretary explained in detail the circumstances resulting in the cancellation of our Bishop Market place display before Xmas and it was felt that a new date shoule be set for our Market Place Display and Recruitment Day at Bishop Auckland Market Place. After discussion it was agreed that Saturday 5th March was the best date and Lee Harris promised to check with our regional organiser Gordon Parkin regarding the availability  of the UKIP Gazebo for that date. It was felt that if we were to Leaflet for this event then we should combine the drop with a second leaflet or card, the cost and content of which is to be discussed with the managing committee prior to purchase.

Opinion was sought regarding the leaflets that had been dropping through everyones doors regarding a change to a North East Mayoral system but it was generally agreed that this smacked of a divide and conquer approach with Europe looming in the background with their agenda of eventually removing all National borders per se and having manageable population units throughout Europe. Members were therefore advised to vote against appointing a North East Mayor.

The meeting went on to discuss how we could use Social Media to spread information voters need to make up their minds at the time of the In Out Referendum. Our Secretary pointed out that we have a Twitter page with several hundred followers but lacked a Facebook presence. Lee Harris promised that he would create a Bishop Auckland Constituency Facebook page as a matter of urgency and all members are encouraged to join in the conversation whenever they log in to their Facebook accounts.

Lee Harris our Membership Secretary explained that he attanded a meeting about the future of Bishop Auckland Hospital which was also attended by Helen Goodman the Labour MP for our area. Lee pointed out that the Private Finance Initiative scheme under which the Hospital had been procured meant that a Hospital cosing £67M to build results in a bill of £270M to the taxpayer over 25 or so years. Lee explained the irony of Helen Goodman campaigning to keep the Hospital open when it was under her watch that the cumulation of events leading to the current position took place. Lee is passing information to the Northern Echo for publication on this matter, but there was no certainty of publication. However, our new member from Barnard Castle who has retired from the medical profession explained that current finances make it impossible to retain the necessary skilled medical professionals to run a full Hospital service and he said that there were only two major Hospitals in the north East in Newcastle and Teesside that were able to provide a full service.

The meeting confirmed that the next meeting will take place on the last Thursday in February (25th February at the Manor Pub in Henknowle)

 

Archived Minutes 2017

Minutes of Meeting

Held: Thursday 21st December 2017

Location: Manor Pub - Henknowle

Chair: Rob Berry

Vice Chair: Dorothy Dolby ( Chaired second half of meeting)

Treasurer: Betty Hopson

Secretary: Alan Breeze

Members Secretary: John Brigstock

Committee Members: Faith Breeze

Regional Organiser: Apologies for absence Gordon Parkin

Attendees: Mark Bickerton

Apologies:

The Chairman asked if the previous minutes could be taken as a true record and this was proposed by Dorothy Dolby and seconded by John Brigstock before being accepted unanimously.

Matters Arising

Our Treasurer confirmed that we have had no further use of funds since our last meeting and we collected our normal monthly voluntary subs of £1 per attendee to add to our funds.

Any other Business

The meeting were pleased to welcome a new member to our meeting in the form of Mark Bickerton who has moved from the Newcastle area where he has previously stodd as a Council candidate narrowly losing out to Labour. Mark's enthusiasm for the party was self evident and he was informed that his contribution in time and effort in the future would be welcomed and appreciated by everyone.

Since our last meeting our new leader henry Bolton visited the North East to the Grand Hotel Hartlepool on the 1st December and our Chairman and Secretary went through to meet him and to listen to his message. As well as answering questions from the audience Henry also stayed after the event to meet members informally and answer any concerns. He explained to everyone that financialy UKIP were at rock bottom and great efforts were being made to procur new financial sponsors. He also explained that since his appointment there has been a resurgence in membership after a period of decline. He said that he was very busy reorganising the party framework working alongside the NEC and had appointed a party cabinet with spokespeople for every sector so that we are prepared for the fothcoming demands on the party. It is expected that he will revisit the North East in the spring of next year to provide guidance and motivation to our region.

John Brigstock asked of the progress with getting some representation on our local radio station Bishop FM and Rob our chairman said he had a positive response from his discussion with Jillian Campbell at Bishop FM and passed her telephone number over to John.

In the second part of the meeting our stand in Chairperson Dorothy le Roger Helmer had retired and would be greatly missed by the party.t everyone know that our Energy spokesman.

At the meeting with Henry Bolton, we had the opportunity of also meeting our MEP Jonathan Arnott who promised to come along to talk to our area if he was free and back in ENgland at the time of one of our future meetings. Our secretary promised to write to him to secure a future date.

With no other business Dorothy declared the meeting closed and confiormed that the next meeting will be the last Thursday in January, weather permitting.

 

 

ANNUAL GENERAL MEETING

Held: Thursday 30th November 2017

Location: The Manor Pub - Henknowle

Members present: Rob Berry; Dorothy Dolby; Betty Hopson;Alan Breeze; John Brigstock; Faith Breeze

The meeting accepted the Minutes of the previous AGM as a true record proposed by Dorothy Dolby seconded by Betty Hopson which was agreed unanimously.

The first task was for our Current Chairman (Vice Chairman - Rob Berry in this instance with the absence of Colin Race) to supervise the appointment of a new Chairman.

Chairman:

Nominations: Rob Berry  ( Tel: 07899 921654  -  This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. )

Proposed by Betty Hopson

Seconded by Dororthy Dolby

No other nominations - carried unanimously.

Vice Chair:

Nominations: Dorothy Dolby       ( Tel: 01833 690164  -  This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. )

Proposed by Faith Breeze

Seconded by Rob Berry

No other nominations - carried unanimously

Secretary:

Nominations: Alan Breeze       ( Tel: 0793 0593 248  -  This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. )

Proposed by Rob Berry

Seconded by Dorothy Dolby

No other nominations - carried unanimously.

Treasurer:

Nominations: Betty Hopson    ( Tel: 01388 607483  -  This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. )

Proposed by Faith Breeze

Seconded by Dorothy Dolby

No other nominations - carried unanimously

Membership Secretary:   

Nominations: John Brigstock   ( Tel: 07803 588488  -  This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. )

Proposed by Alan Breeze

Seconded by Rob Berry

No other nominations - carried unanimously

Executive Committee:

Nominations: Faith Breeze   ( Tel: 07816026694   -   This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. )

Proposed by Rob Berry

Seconded by Dorothy Dolby

No other nominations - carried unanimously

Statement of Accounts

Our Treasurer Betty Hopson confirmed that our current balance stands as a total of £263.83 comprised of £243.83 in our Darlington Building Society and £29 cash in hand.
Our Treasurer confirmed that we had no outgoings over the last year and the increase in funds was accounted for by income from several Car Boot stands plus the monthly collections at Branch Meetings.

Our new Chairman Rob Berry then declared the meeting closed and confirmed that the next Branch meeting would take place on 21st December 2017 at the Manor pub, Henknowle Bishop Auckland and the next AGM will take place on the last Thursday in November 2018 at a venue to be confirmed.

 

 

 

 

Minutes of Meeting

Held: Thursday 5th October 2017

Location: Manor Pub - Henknowle

Chair: Rob Berry  (Apologies Colin Race - Work Commitments)

Vice Chair: Rob Berry - See above

Treasurer: Betty Hopson

Secretary: Alan Breeze

Members Secretary: Current vacancy

Committee Members: John Brigstock; Dorothy Dolby (apologies due to work commitments)

Regional Organiser: Apologies for absence Gordon Parkin

Attendees: Faith Breeze,

Apologies:

The Chairman asked if the previous minutes could be taken as a true record and this was proposed by John Brigstock and seconded by Faith Breeze before being accepted unanimously.

Matters Arising

Because of the extended period of time since the last meeting and the significant changes in the party recently there were few matters arising from the previous meeting. It was reported by our Secretary that a meeting was called in July but was aborted due to not meeting the Quorum which is minimum of 50% of formal committee size (7 ) and must include 2 of the three prime officials (Chairman, Treasurer, Secretary). The Chairman and Secretary agreed with telephone support from other members to have the meeting on tonight's date as the best time after the UKIP Leadership outcome is known.

It is understood that Lee Harris has indicated that he no longer wishes to take an active part in the branch and we all wish him well for the future.

Because of the withdrawal of Lee's Parliamentary Candidacy the money from our accounts allocated to his campaign was not spent and therefore is retained for future use.

Any Other Business

Our secretary pointed out that the next meeting due to take place on the normal day the last Thursday of the month will be the Annual General Meeting and will be on the 26th October at "The Manor" pub Henknowle Estate Bishop Auckland. It was also pointed out that this meeting is restricted to paid up members.

On the subject of membership concern was expressed that the membership was not growing and even some regular attendees were no longer in attendance. Our secretary reported that under the new system announced at Conference, as well as 100% of first years membership fee, branches will receive 15% of all membership fees within an area. It was felt that we make Head Office aware that we represent North West Durham as well as Bishop Auckland Constituency and should receive the fees for both areas.

Ideas were invited for ways in which we could increase our membership but it was felt that without a National drive and a strong show of leadership from our new Leader any efforts would prove futile because it has become increasingly clear that local people are influenced far more by National events than local ones although local ones can have a beneficial effect in backing up National campaigns.

With regard to fundraising events we should consider Summer Car Boot sales as they have proved fruitful in the past as well as combining with showing a UKIP presence and the Secretary feels we should invite "Big Beasts" to talk at our Branch meetings and advertise heavily so that we may attract a sizeable crowd and run a raffle on the night to raise funds.

Next Meeting

The next Meeting will be the AGM on 26th October at The Manor pub starting at 7:15pm

 

 

 

 

Minutes of Meeting

Held: Thursday 26th April 2017

Location: Manor Pub - Henknowle

Chair: Colin Race

Vice Chair:Rob Berry

Treasurer: Apolgies for absence Betty Hopson

Secretary: Alan Breeze

Members Secretary: Current vacancy

Committee members: Dorothy Dolby; John Brigstock (apologies for absence away in Spain)

Regional Organiser: Apologies for absence Gordon Parkin

Attendees: Margaret Warren; Irene Hargrave; Jim Hargrave; Lee Harris; Faith Breeze; Tina;

Apologies:

The Chairman asked if the previous minutes could be taken as a true record and this was proposed by Lee Hariss and seconded by Alan Breeze before being accepted unanimously.

Matters Arising

We had a message from our treasurer that we currently have £201 funds available following an expenditure of £312 on printing of leaflets for the Durham County Elections.

The results from the Durham County Elections were discussed and the most votes within the wards,  accumulated by John Brigstock who did NO campaigning and had NO leaflets delivered suggested that the efforts by the other candidates were in vain and that people had largely decided their party of choice regardless of campaigning.

Any Other Business

As this meeting followed on the hustings for selection of the Bishop Auckland Candidate, the meeting unanimously congratulated Lee Hariss on his success and wished Alan good fortune in his quest to find another suitable Constituency.

The meeting agreed that the remainder of the funds available should be dedicated to the Parliamentary Candidacy Campaign for Lee and arrangements would be made to release the funds for him.

It was agreed that with the election being so close we should hold an interim meeting on Wednesday 10th May to progress Lee's campaign.

Following that the next monthly meeting will take place on Thursday 25th May at 7:15pm at The Manor pub.

 

 

Minutes of Meeting

Held: Thursday 30th March 2017

Location: Manor Pub - Henknowle

Chair: Colin Race

Vice Chair:Rob Berry

Treasurer: Betty Hopson

Secretary: Alan Breeze

Members Secretary: Current vacancy

Regional Organiser: Gordon Parkin

Attendees: John Brigstock; Irene Hargrave; Jim Hargrave; Lee Harris

Apologies: Dorothy Dolby

The Chairman asked if the previous minutes could be taken as a true record and this was proposed by John Brigstock and seconded by Alan Breeze before being accepted unanimously.

Matters Arising

Our secretary explained that despite writing to Mike Hookem he had not been able to secure his services prior to our County Council Elections but also said that he had a brief discussion with John Tennant at the Regional meeting who said he might be able to come along and advise us on Campaigning techniques prior to the elections on 4th May.

Our Treasurer confirmed that we currently have £513 funds available for campaigning in the near future.

Further to the meeting in February Rob Berry explained that he was no longer able to put himself forward for election in May, however discussions with Jim and Irene Hargraves in Spennymoor resulted in a definite commitment from Jim and a possibility of Irene standing too in the Wards of Spennymoor and Tudhoe.

In addition John Brigstock offered to stand as a candidate in wherever we thought most suitable and initialy Coundon was thought best choice with a second choice Shildon although it was mentioned at the meeting that Town Council vacancies in Kirk Merrington and Byers Green were not being contested by Labour.

Our secretary has subsequently with the help of our Chairman secured forms for all the Wards that we were likely to contest and thanks to the attendance of our Regional Organiser who is an approved signatory for the forms these forms could be signed on the night allowing candiodates to use the UKIP logo and name.

Our secretary confirmed that as soon as text and pictures were received from all candidates artwork would be produced for A5 flyers and attractive pricing has been gained at Local printer Lifestyle in Bishop Auckland.

Our secretary advised that a letter of thanks has been sent to Rhys Burriss for his generous donation.

Gordon and other members gave encouragement and confidence to Irene so that she might favourably consider standing in one of the Wards and she agreed to consider it carefully.

Any Other Business

The only subject of concern was the pending Durham County Council Elections and it was agreed that towards this end an interim meeting be held on the 19th April to progress detailed matters in progress. This date was immediately checked with Phil the Landlord and confirmed as a meeting for the confirmed candidates that would be a none minuted progress meeting.

Beyond that the next minuted monthly meeting will take place on the last Thursday in April (27th)

 

 

Minutes of Meeting

Held: Thursday 23rd february 2017

Location: Manor Pub - Henknowle

Chair: Lee Harris (Apologies for Absence)

Vice Chair: Vacant

Treasurer: Betty Hopson Apologies for Absence)

Secretary: Alan Breeze

Members Secretary: Current vacancy

Regional Organiser: Gordon Parkin (Apologies for Absence)

Attendees: John Brigstock; Colin Race; Rob Berry, Dorothy Dolby

Apologies:

The Meeting was informed by our Secretary that he had been approached by our Chairman Lee Harris who explained that he was no longer able to sustain the position of Chairman due to personal issues. The first item to resolve therefore at the current meeting was to appoint a new Chairman.

Proposed for Chairman: Colin Race    Proposed by Dorothy Dolby
                                                         Seconded by Rob Berry

                                      Rob Berry     Proposed by Alan Breeze
                                                          Seconded by John Brigstock

New Chairman elected as Colin Race by margin of 3 - 2

Our new Chairman then took charge of the meeting with the first issue as election of Vice Chairman

Proposed for Vice Chairman:   Dorothy Dolby   Proposed by Rob Berry
                                                                        Seconded by John Brigstock

                                              Rob Berry           Proposed by Dorothy Dolby
                                                                        Seconded by Colin Race

After a vote there was a tie at 2 - 2 and the Chairmans casting vote was given to Rob Berry making him Vice Chairman, Dorothy Dolby and John Brigstock remain as committe members.

The Chairman then asked if the previous minutes could be taken as a true record and this was proposed by Rob Berry and seconded by Alan Breeze before being accepted unanimously.

Matters Arising

Our secreatary explained that  he had written to Mike Hookham to try and secure him to speak at our branch meeting but got no response possibly because of our meeting date coinciding with the Stoke and Copeland by elections.

Any Other Business

The main focus of our efforts for the coming months are the tendering of applications for the forthcoming Durham County elections on the 7th May with a deadline of 23rd March for the submission of applications. It was confirmed that Lee Harris still wished to stand in the West Auckland Ward and people at the meeting were asked to consider standing in other wards.

Colin Race confirmed he would stand within Woodhouse

Alan Breeze for Evenwood

Rob Berry for St Helens Auckland

John Brigstock for Coundon

Lee Harris for West Auckland

Our secretary reminded the candidates that they must put themselves forward for the vetting process online on the UKIP website.

Mr Race passed to our secretary a proposed text for his flyer and it was agreed that Mr Breeze would develop proposed A5 layouts for the next meeting.

Our secretary promised to obtain the necessary forms from DCC and also confirm the exact areas for each Ward.

It was agreed that an interim meeting be held before the next Monthly meeting and straight after tonight's meeting our Secretary agreed a date of Wdnesday 15th March for the next meeting with the Landlord of the Manor.

The meeting requested that a batch of Membership forms are procured for candidates to have in cases where people were found wishing to join whilst out campaigning.

Our secretary announced to the meeting that we had received a significant donation of £250 from Rhys Burriss to Branch funds to help us in branch and it was unanimously agreed that a letter of thanks be sent to Mr Burriss.

With no other Business the meeting was brought to a close by our Chairman and confirmed the next monthly meeting at The Manor on the last Thursday in March starting at 7:15pm. The interim meeting for DCC candidates is to be held on Wednesday 15th March at The Manor at 7:15pm

 

Minutes of Meeting

 

Held: Thursday 26th january 2017

Location: Manor Pub - Henknowle

Chair: Lee Harris (Apologies for Absence)

Vice Chair: Vacancy due to recent Death of Alistair Robertson

Treasurer: Betty Hopson

Secretary: Alan Breeze

Members Secretary: Current vacancy

Regional Organiser: Gordon Parkin (Apologies for Absence)

Attendees: John Brigstock; Colin Race

Apologies: Rob Berry, Dorothy Dolby

In the absence of our Chairman and without a current Vice Chairman but with a quorom of four attendees our Secretary Alan Breeze took the Chair.

The meeting opened with a statement of Remembrance for our dear recently departed Chairman Alistair Robertson highlighting his dedicated service to UKIP and his key involvement in helping start our branch and helping secure a Brexit vote in our constituency. This was followed by a sincere and extremely well presented prayer dedicated to Alistair's memory conducted by our Treasurer Betty Hopson

It was proposed by John Brigstock and seconded by Colin Race that the previous minutes of the monthly meeting be accepted as a true record, this was passed unanimously.

There were no matters arising from the previous minutes

Any Other Business.

The Chairman highlighted that our unwavering focus must be to field as many approved candidates as possible for the County Council elections in May 2017 and after discussion a plan of action was proposed and accepted as below:-

1) A high Profile UKIP speaker must be secured as soon as possible for the next meeting on February 23rd and it was thought that outside of Paul Nuttall and Suzanne Evans the most known key UKIP member was Mike Hookem our South Yorkshire and Lincolnshire MEP who is the UKIP spokesman on Fishermen and Armed Forces Veterans. It was agreed that our secretary should request his attendance to speak to our branch on the future of our fishing industry after Brexit. If Mr Hookem is not available then another high profile UKIP spokesman will be secured to speak on his area of expertise.

2) Local press is to be contacted to advertise the coming of our Speaker as well as personal phone calls to all our registered members within the constituency (It was agree that this task would be shared by our current committee and to assist in this task our secretary is to split the phone numbers between the committee as soon as possible and a check list to be produced of the conversation format)

3) Our chairman is to contact the local UKIP expert on Campaigning techniques Mr John Tennant from Hartlepool to give a training talk at our March meeting

4) Maximum effort is to be made at the major February meeting to recruit as many candidates as possible for the forthcoming Durham County Elections with the promise that they will receive training on campaigning at our March meeting supplemented by advice from our committee.

5) All Candidates must submit their details on line for UKIP vetting and then secure a proposer, seconder and 8 nominees all of whom must be on the electoral register within the ward and then these lists must be submitted before the March deadline the exact date to be confirmed.

The Chairman thanked members for their attendance and confirmed that the next monthly meeting was to take place on Thursday 23rd February at "The Manor" pub Henknowle starting at 7:15pm

 

 

 

Archived Minutes 2015

 Meeting Held Thursday 26th November

Chair: Alistair Robertson

Vice Chair: Dorothy Dolby

Treasurer: Betty Hopson

Secretary: Alan Breeze

Members Secretary: Lee Harris

Present: Cllr Colin Race; Rob Berry; Cheryll Dennison

Apologies: James Hargrave; Irene Hargrave; Gordon Parkin; Trevor Storey

The previous minutes were proposed, seconded and approved unanimously as a true record of the previous meeting.

Matters Arising

Following on from the previous minutes our seretary confirmed that a meeting to discuss the Tudhoe Grange saga had been secured with Jonathan Arnott on Friday 11th December at the Hartlepool Office at 11am and it was agreed that Alistair our Chairman and Alan our secretary would accompnay two representatives from the Tudhoe campaign including Trevor Storey.

The forthcoming By election at Oldham was discussed and Lee Harris confirmed that he participated in the campaign last weekend. We wished our candidate Mr Bickley the best of luck and would support him in any way we could.

Rob Berry reported back to the meeting that to participate in Market day at Bishop Auckland simply meant turning up on the day and paying a £20 fee. On this basis a date of 19th December was agreed for our presence in the Market Place and Lee Harris agreed to arrange the UKIP gazebo from Stockton branch at the statutory fee of £40.

Lee harris agreed to forward an electronic copy of our constituency members register to our secretary so that they could be added to our email circulation.

Our secretary confirmed that our website has now been modified to accept direct payments into our account for new members.

The meeting thanked our member Councillor Colin Race for funding and laying our Armistice memorial day wreath ably supported by Lee Harris.

The meeting discussed the possibility of a Xmas Dinner this year but it was generally thought that we would be better fixing a date as soon as possible for next year and invite a well known speaker. At the same time we could organise a Xmas Raffle to boost funds.

The meeting discussed holding more meetings in the other principalities of our constituency, Shildon, Spennymoor and Barnard Castle and this would be discussed further at the next meeting.

The Chairman thanked everyone for their attendance and contributions and brought the meeting to a close.

It was agreed that the next meeting will take place on the last Thursday in January ( 28th January ) at 7:15pm in the Manor Pub Henknowle.

 

 

Minutes of Meeting

Held: Thursday 29th October 2015

Location: Manor Pub - Henknowle

Chair: Alistair Robertson

Vice Chair: Dorothy Dolby

Treasurer: Betty Hopson

Secretary: Alan Breeze

Present: Rob Berry ; Trevor Storey; Christine Pearson; Lee Harris; Colin Race;

Apologies: James Hargrave; Irene Hargrave; Gordon Parkin

The previous minutes were proposed, seconded and approved unanimously as a true record of the previous meeting.

Matters Arising

Following on from the previous minutes which were very much dominated by the issue of the aftermath of the demolition of Tudhoe Grange School, our secretary reported that Jonathan Arnott our North East MEP has promised to meet a delegation highlighting the injustices and fraudulent behaviour surrounding the School in the near future and all parties will be informed as soon as a date is secured.

On this same subject Mr Harris our Chairman of the Young UKIP North East, suggested that we should also contact Paul Nuttall who as well as being UKIPs deput leader is also our spokesman on Education. The only concern with this suggestion is that to prematurely contact Mr Nuttall without giving Mr Arnott an opportunity to act may be seen as dis respectful to Mr Arnott, however this could be the next step of escalation beyond Mr Arnott.

Following a meeting mid month with Gordon Parkin where a vote took place to elect Alan Breeze as the UKIP representative for Sedgefield, Darlington and Bishop Auckland Constituencies at the North East Main Meetings, it was discovered that there is a purpose designed gazebo available in Gold and Purple. We were told that this available from Stockton Branch for the fee of £40 per day which includes delivery erection, dismantling and removal at the end of the day. This would be an ideal item to use at Bishop Auckland market on a Saturday to spread the word and recruit new members. Mr Berry said that he would contact the local authority looking after the Markets to find procedure for securing a pitch for the day. To help facilitate new memberships Mr Breeze our secretary promised to modify the website so that payments would be made direct to our account which is permissable for first years memberships.

The meeting thanked Mr Race our Bishop Auckland Councillor for his kind offer to obtain a wreath at his own expense and attend the armistice memorial ceremony on Sunday 8th November to lay the wreath on our behalf.

Lee Harris informed the meeting that UKIP were supporting all the other organisations set up to convince the public that we are better off out of Europe. In particular "The Freedom Association" chaired by Rory Broomfield have set up the "betteroffout.net" website to assist in the task. Our secretary promised to create a link to this site from our website.

Lee Harris informed the meeting that there is a move afoot to get rid of the Durham Light Infantry Museum in Durham and urged our members to lend their support in the online petition available here.

Mr Storey suggested hat we would benefit by placing free ads in Spennymoor Talk and Talk Spennymoor as well as Spennymoor Save our Heritage and this was thought a good idea to tie in with our market stall idea as well as advertising our meetings.

It was agreed that the next meeting will take place back here at "The Manor" Henknowle on the last Thursday in November starting at 7:15pm.

 

 

Minutes of Meeting

Held: Thursday 24th September 2015

Location: Manor Pub - Henknowle

Chair: Alistair Robertson

Vice Chair: Dorothy Dolby

Treasurer: Betty Hopson

Secretary: Alan Breeze

Present: Rob Berry ; James Hargrave; Irene Hargrave; Neil Grayson; Trevor Storey; Karen Fitzgerald; Owen Fitzgerald; Ernie Smith

Apologies: Gordon Parkin; Rhys Burriss; Lee Harris; Colin Race

 

The previous minutes were proposed, seconded and approved unanimously as a true record of the previous meeting.

Matters Arising

Mrs Hopson reported that at long last we have been accepted by the Darlington Building Society as a holder of a Bank Account and Betty was thanked for her sterling efforts in achieving success in what turned out to be a very daunting task. With a Bank account in place our Branch will now be fully recognised by UKIP Head Office and at long last we may get links from the main UKIP websites etc.

Following on from this the secretary explained that now we have our own Bank account we may route Constituency membership payments directly into our account for all new members through a Paypal account that will be opened. (This follows from the UKIP party rule that all new members payments are kept by the receiving organisation whether it be Branch or Head Office, although subsequent year payments are routed directly to UKIP Head Office Account).

As Promised at the previous meeting Gordon Parkin has provided booklets and CDs for distribution aimed at building the case for exit to Europe, which will be brought along to the next meeting.

After the false start the previous month with the Car Boot Sale venture it was determined that we would try again to organise another Car Boot Sale although Alistair mentioned that the last local Car Boot Sale for this season would be on Friday 25th September (tomorrow). Fortunately Jim and Irene Hargraves had brought along many very useful items for sale which were gladly accepted by the Branch and were expected to raise a significant sum towards Branch funds. The Chairman thanked Jim and Irene for this genorous gesture. It was agreed that our secretary and chairman would attend the Car Boot tomorrow on behalf of the Branch to help with our Branch Funds.

The meeting was reminded that Nigel was appearing at the Sage Gateshead on Monday 12th October and tickets were available on line for a nominal fee designed to dissuade Labour from taking up batches of tickets for free to sabotage the event.

At this point our Chairman welcomed Trevor Storey, head of the Spennymoor Grange School Investigation Committee to allow him to explain to the meeting a summary of the events that led to the demolition of the Tudhoe Grange School and the total mismanagement of the situation which verged on criminal misconduct. Trevor fully explained the situation and welcomed the UKIP support on this matter, as our secretary explained that it was in our interest to expose the misdeeds of the complacent and negligent local Labour Council in Spennymoor. Trevor expressed his disappointment that some key members of the campaign committee were unable to attend on the evening but said that there would be future opportunities to meet and discuss how we may best complement each others efforts in ousting the sitting Labour Council in Spennymoor in particular. The Chairman thanked Mr Storey for the comprehensive insight that he provided to the meeting and pledged our support for the future.

Because of time constraints, caused by the excellent explanation provided by Mr Storey the meeting unanimously agreed to carry over "Any other Business" to next month's meeting and the meeting was duly closed. It was also agreed that there would be insufficient time for the post meeting Quiz and this was also carried over to the next meeting.

It was agreed that we should target our meetings to the last Thursday each month except where there was a clash with Bank Holidays (the last Thursday in December is New Years Eve) and therefore the next meeting will take place on Thursday 29th October.

 

 

Minutes of Meeting

Held: Wednesday 26th August 2015

Location: Manor Pub - Henknowle

Chair: Alistair Robertson

Treasurer: Betty Hopson

Secretary: Alan Breeze

Present:Rob Berry ; James Hargrave

Apologies: Rhys Burriss; Gordon Parkin; Dorothy Dolby; Lee Harris

Previous Minutes

The previous minutes were proposed, seconded and approved unanimously as a true record of the previous meeting.

From the previous minutes Betty Hopson reported that a little more progress had been made with securing a Bank Account with Darlington Building Society and said that Gordon Parkin our Regional Organiser was also assisting with securing an account. During the meeting Betty got Alistair and Alan to sign Bank documents as signatories and Alan confirmed that he had already confirmed his identity at the Darlington Branch. In discussion with the Darlington Building Society, Gordon agreed that we should provide a copy of our Constitution, a copy of the most recent AGM Minutes and a document stating the purpose of the require account. Alan Breeze promised to provide these documents through Betty to DBS as a matter of priority.

At the previous meeting it was agreed that we would bring along articles for sale at a Car Boot Sale that Ernie Smith would run on our behalf. All the members present provided items as previously agreed but unfortunately Ernie Smith did not attend the meeting and after discussion it was agreed that due to individuals circumstances the project would be held over for a month with a request that items are brought to the next meeting.

Whilst Gordon Parkin could not attend the meeting, he did relay information to the effect that he would provide CDs and booklets for distribution at a Car Boot event before the next meeting.

The meeting were reminded that Nigel was appearing at the EFDD referendum debate which is taking place at the Sage Gateshead on Monday 12th October at 7pm and tickets are available free (other than small booking charge) HERE

Correspondence from the Spennymoor Grange Action Committee who have uncovered several very worrying things that had happened under the jurisdiction of the local labour party relating to the demolition, was discussed and it was agreed that they should be invited to the next meeting.

As agreed at the previous meeting our secretary had prepared a Quiz with the dual purpose of providing a little light entertainment and raising more funds. The Quiz was conducted by Alan our secretary with a political theme and based upon mutiple choice answers, everyone took part and despite some grumbles that some of the questions were a little obscure, our treasurer Betty proved to be a worthy winner and agreed to donate the full takings to our cause. It was agreed that the Quiz was a useful addition to the meeting held at the end and everyone stayed over to take part and should be repeated at the next meeting.

It was agreed that the next meeting will take place on Thursday 24th September at 7:15pm

 

Minutes of Meeting

Held: Thursday 23rd July 2015

Location: Manor Pub - Henknowle

Chair: Alistair Robertson

Vice Chair: Dorothy Dolby

Secretary: Alan Breeze

Present: Lee Harris ; Betty Hopson ; Colin Race ; Ernie Smith; Brian Smith

Apologies: Rhys Burriss; Gordon Parkin

Previous Minutes

The previous minutes were accepted as published and the meeting went on to discuss points arising.

Fund Raising

The secretary reported that he had investigated the details of the previous meeting suggestion of taking a stall at a car boot sale and that the fee at the South Church one which started at 11am every Friday was £5 per Car and normally went on to around 3:30pm. Mr Ernie Smith also pointed out there was another significant sized Car boot sale held every Sunday at Willington which although just over the constituency boundary might be equally suitable. The secretary also reported that he had been in touch with head office and sourced UKIP booklets priced at £1 which could be obtained for £0.50p with a MOQ of 100 pieces. Lee Harriss said that boxes of booklets and literature had been donated to other branches and said that he would contact Gordon Parkin on our behalf to secure literature for our cause.

After discussion, it was agreed that we would go for a car boot sale and would start with all supporters and members donating items for sale to the next meeting to be taken to one or both of the Car boot sales. Mr Smith volunteered to take the goods collected and run the first car boot event on behalf of our branch.

Another idea was to hold a short Quiz to follow the next meeting with £2 per person entry and 50% of takings as prize, Alan Breeze propmised to sort this out for next meeting

Local Elections

The secretary explains that we just missed out on the last elections for Eldon and West Auckland, but Mr Harriss said there were more coming up shortly of which it was agreed that West Auckland Ward 2 was a suitable target, whereas Barnard Castle East and Shildon Sunnydale could not be covered by our members. Mr Breeze agreed to stand for the West Auckland election and Mr Race promised to help in securing the necessary signatures for the nomination.

It was also confirmed that Mr Harriss is standing for Durham County elections.

Bank Account

Betty Hopson our Treasurer outlind the continuing saga of opening a Bank account, but said she finally had a positive response from the Darlington Building Society, and the main committee members signed the necessary documents for Betty to progress (assuming that she was re-elected as treasurer)

Any other Business:

It was suggested that we start thinking about a Christmas dinner event for our branch, and initial enquiries were made to Phil at the Manor who said that he would check the feasibility and suggest a priced menu for the next meeting to consider.

It was also suggested that we should secure a high profile guest speaker again at a future meeting and Lee Harriss promised top speak to Jonathan Arnott and Mike Hookham (MEPs) as to their availability.

One of the new guests at the meeting, Mr Brian Smith stated that he was a member of BNP for one year several years ago and asked how this might influence his prospective membership. Mr Breeze the secretary said that he would check out details of the ruling on this matter.

Our Chairman Alistair circulated a draft of a potential "Newsletter" and everyone agreed it was an excellent article he had assembled, this will be discussed in more detail at the next meeting.

With no other business to discuss the meeting was closed and none members were advised they could not participate in the Annual General Meeting which was to folllow.

The next meeting was agreed for Wednesday 26th August at 7:30pm in The Manor

 

ANNUAL GENERAL MEETING

Held: Thursday 23rd July

Location: Manor Pub - Henknowle

The first task was to appoint a Chairman for the coming year, who would then go on to Chair the remainder of the AGM and supervise the appointment of the other officers.

Chairman:

Proposed: Alistair Robertson (by Dorothy Dolby)
Seconded by Colin Race

Unamimously elected without opposition

Vice Chairman:

Proposed: Dorothy Dolby (by Alistair Robertson)
Seconded by Lee Harriss

Unamimously elected without opposition

Secretary:

Proposed: Alan Breeze (by Lee Harriss)
Seconded by Colin Race

Unamimously elected without opposition

Treasurer:

Proposed: Betty Hopson (by Dorothy Dolby)
Seconded by Alan Breeze

Unamimously elected without opposition

Membership Secretary:

Proposed: Lee Harriss (by Dorothy Dolby)
Seconded by Betty Hopson

Unamimously elected without opposition

Campaign Manager: It was generally agreed we hold this appointment over to the next AGM to give a better choice as there were no anticipated tasks within the next year.

The Annual General Meeting was then duly concluded with the next AGM to take place July 2016.

 

 

 

 

Minutes of Meeting

Held: Wednesday 10th June 2015

Location: manor Pub - Henknowle

Chair: Alistair Robertson

Vice Chair: Dorothy Dolby

Secretary: Alan Breeze

Present: Gordon Parkin ; Cheryl Dennison ; Lee Harris ; Betty Hopson ; Colin Race ; James Hargrave ; Irene Hargrave ; Stewart Gregory

Apologies: Rhys Burriss

Before the meeting got underway the Chairman warmly welcomed Gordon Parkin, Regional Organiser for UKIP who said he would lend his experience, help and support to our branch whenevr he could and asked to be included on all future correspondence so that he could diary future meetings.

In addition a letter from Rhys apologising for his absence and thanking everyone for their tremendous support at the election was read out in full by Alan.

Agenda:

A) Review of Recent Election Performance

Gordon commended the branch and Rhys our candidate for doing exceptionally well, perhaps beyond the expectations of UKIP central office in gaining more than 7,000 votes which stood alongside any of the other North East Constituencies including ones where signifcant money was invested.

Dorothy explained that she had previously expressed her concern about "Megaphoning" as a means of communication to Rhys himself and held that a more personal approach would yield better dividends. Gordon ststed that the two Megaphones that he purchased on spec for the North East were quickly taken up by the constituencies for use. The general consensus was that they probably were a worthwhile tool but perhaps just in the last day or so before the election when people would not consider them offensive.

Alan suggested that we should consider a telephone campaign for the next election, to seek out the wavering voters and skilfully guide them to the UKIP cause. Gordon said that UKIP had developed telephone scripts that could be employed to achieve this end.

It was generally agreed that a Market stall in the last month before the election would ave been a great plus but Alan explained that we came to the idea too late to gain the appropriate permissions and it was thought that this is a must before the next election.

It was also suggested that if a large car boot sale could be tapped into in the constituency then this could serve as a promotional table, selling UKIP goods and could be supplemented by donations from members to raise funds for the next campaign. This will be discussed further at the next meeting.

B) Fundraising Ideas

The previously mentioned Car Boot Sale was one suggestion to help raise funds for future and Gordon suggested that we should aim to gradually increase our membership and start having a donation box at the sign in and perhaps a raffle at the end to maximise funds.

Everyone was asked to give some thought to further ideas that could be discussed at the next meeting.

C) Any other Business

Gordon suggested that we should consider printing a newsletter for distribution within the constituency on say a bi monthly basis to keep UKIP fresh in everyones minds and increase everyone's awareness.

Gordon also suggested that we compete for every possible council seat within the constituency because it was stated that failure to do so results inevitably in a Labour candidate taking the post by default. Alan promised to write to County Hall suggesting an election for the forthcoming West Auckland Council seat and Lee said he would write concerning two other seats coming up shortly in Eldon.

Gordon mentioned that a monthly return statement of our accounts has to be passed to UKIP head office and this was duly noted for when we appoint a treasurer.

It was agreed that the next meeting would become our AGM which is approximately 6 months from our inauguration. We seek to appoint for the coming year the posts of Chairman, Vice Chairman, Secretary, Treasurer and Membership Secretary.

Concern was expressed by Alan that in the recent campaign, Cheryl had on her own initiative gone to considerable expense printing her own literature and procuring official party literature, which was a tremendous gesture appreciated by all that understood the amount of work Cheryl and her mother had put in before the election. Cheryl was asked to compile details of her expenditure so that a future meeting could consider the level of recompense, although with the next meeting being strictly an AGM this may have to wait till August.

It was suggested that we obtain membership forms to aid our recruitment especialy bearing in mind that membership through the branch resulted in significant financial benefit for the branch itself. Alan said he would also review the website to achieve the same end instead of simply routing everyone through to the UKIP main membership portal.

It was explained to Gordon that we had considerable difficulty opening a Bank Account despite having jumped every hurdle placed in front of us both at Lloyds and the Yorkshire Bank, Gordon suggested we try Santander as an alternative and he agreed to take back to Jonathan Arnott the now expired cheque for £100.

Gordon suggested that we would benefit from a "Membership Secretary" and after discussion it was felt that his task was ideally suited to Lee Harris who agreed to stand for the position and was unanimously elected.

D) Election of Treasurer

Due to the resignation of Mike O'Neil our treasurer on health grounds we had a requirement for election of a new treasurer. After discussion it was felt that Betty Hopson would be the most suitable candidate, and having gained her acceptance to put herself forward for the post she was unanimously elected.

Betty had a first task of trying once more to open a Bank Account for the Branch and promised to start the process as her first priority.

NEXT MEETING:

It was initialy suggested that we meet the second Wednesday every month which was agreed with the Manor, however subsequent information has come to light pushing us to postponing the meeting one week to Wednesday 15th July at 7:30pm.

NOTE: This will be the Annual General Meeting

The meeting was then formaly closed by our chairman.